The potential of Lower Allen Township was obvious from the beginning. Formed in 1850 when the old Allen Township was split in half, Lower Allen is blessed with natural resources and a superb location. As its southern boundary, Yellow Breeches Creek is a creek renowned for its trout fishing, along with an abundance of limestone and fertile land.
In the 17th Century Lower Allen was home to the Susquehannock Indians. The first Scotish-Irish settlers began moving in about 1750, and they farmed the land until modern times. Rustic and unspoiled, Lower Allen remained relatively undeveloped until after World War II. Between 1940 and 1980, Lower Allen's population increased by 887 percent, and in the 2000 census the population had risen to 17,437.
Lower Allen is a first class township under Pennsylvania law. A five-person Board of Commissioners, elected at large, oversees all policy and financial matters. The day-to-day operation and the implementation of all policy is the responsibility of a full-time manager.
Administrative offices are in the Municipal Services Center, 2233 Gettysburg Road, Camp Hill, and include the offices of Manager, Finance, Community Development, Human Resources, Police, Emergency Medical Services, and Lower Allen Fire Company No. 1. The Township Tax Collector/Treasurer is also located here. The Township also has Fire Station No. 2 located on Rupp Avenue and the Lisburn Fire Station located in Lisburn.
Lower Allen Township provides Emergency Medical Services and Police coverage 24 hours a day, and is served by two township based volunteer fire companies.
If you are interested in more information on the history of Lower Allen Township, stop by the Municipal Services Center and purchase a copy of "Lower Allen Township - A History" for $10.00 (tax included). This hard cover, 153 page book was published in 1993 by Robert Grant Christ and is packed full of black and white pictures, maps and interesting information.